Skip to main content

Trick or Treat? In this case, no!

By October 27, 2014 February 21st, 2017 Uncategorized

Although kids young and old love this spooky and festive time of year, the fuzziest members of our families aren’t always sniffing out the g159px-Chocolate_Candies_in_Pumpkin_Pail_(5076897960)ood times. Here are some tips from our vets to keep your pet happy – and healthy – this All Hallows’ Eve.

All forms of chocolate are very dangerous to dogs and cats so if Fido or kitty gets into the kid’s candy stash, err on the side of caution and
l your vet or poison control. If your pet begins to vomit, have diarrhea, shows increased breathing or heart rate take action. Another common candy ingredient, xylitol, is also dangerous, even in very small amounts.

Even candies that are chocolate- and xylitol-free can lead to a very dangerous condition called pancreatitis, if ingested in large enough am
ounts, and varieties such as lollipops can provide choking and internal blocking risks, from sticks and wrappers.

If you’re looking for a safe, thematic alternative try pumpkin dog treats! Homemade is always best, and surprisingly easy; make sure to use real pumpkin even when canned, never pumpkin pie filling.
Remember; never pass those less-than-savory treats, like boxes of raisins, onto pets. Raisins (and grapes) are very poisonous to dogs and can cause kidney failure.