Skip to main content

Travelling across the border?

By August 5, 2014 Pets

Royal Canin1 If you are going on vacation to the United States with your cat or dog, and it is three months of age or older, you must have a signed and dated certificate from a veterinarian verifying that your pet has been vaccinated against rabies within the last three years. If under three months, you must bring proof of age.

According to the Canada Border Services Agency website, service dogs are not subject to any restrictions if the dog is accompanied by its owner.

Also, Dr. Keir, the vet here at Gagemount Animal Hospital, recommends you take your pet’s food in its original packaging. Border officers have been known to confiscate pet food put in Tupperware or other containers.